The housing appeals process is for students who will be enrolled but want to request release for a future term from the obligations outlined in the student housing contract.
Requests for release from the Student Housing Contract will not automatically be granted. Releases are uncommon and are only granted by the Housing Appeals Review Committee under extraordinary circumstances. The Housing Appeals Review Committee is made up of staff members from various university departments.
For appeals submitted prior to the start of the academic year, the review committee will establish guidelines for submission and schedule a meeting to review the information provided in the housing appeal. Students may request to be present at the scheduled Housing Appeals Review Committee meeting. Individual appeal meetings will not be scheduled; the student must make arrangements in advance to be present at the scheduled Housing Appeals Review Committee meeting. If a student opts not to attend the Housing Appeals Review Committee meeting, the committee will make a decision in the applicant’s absence, using the information provided.
All decisions made by the committee are final, and there is no further avenue of appeal. It is in the student’s best interest not to ignore or avoid payments to the office of the bursar and not to make alternative living arrangements prior to receiving an official decision from the Housing Appeals Review Committee.
- Housing appeals begin for the fall semester of the 2017-18 academic year on August 24, 2017, and are due by noon on September 8, 2017.
- Housing appeals begin for the spring semester of the 2017-18 academic year on October 26, 2017, and are due by noon on November 9, 2017.
- A second round of housing appeals for the spring semester of the 2017-18 academic year begin on February 1, 2018, and are due by noon on February 9, 2018.
- Pre-fall housing appeals for 2018-19 are due in July 2018 (date TBA). Appeals submitted by this deadline will be reviewed and decisions will be rendered prior to the start of the 2018-19 academic year.
- Students should submit the housing appeal from their Ole Miss Gmail account. The housing appeal should be a detailed, written explanation of why they are requesting the housing exemption including why they believe they should be released from the housing contract and/or exempt from living on campus.
- Attach supplemental documents for full consideration (letter from parents, medical documents, financial records)
- Submit the housing appeal by the established deadline.