Checkout & Moving Out
You are required to complete the checkout process prior to departing from your building.
Deadline for checkout: within 24 hours of your last final exam
All residence halls, residential colleges and Northgate apartments close on Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 12:00 pm CT
- Schedule your Spring 2023 Checkout Appointment early to notify Student Housing of your departure. Appointments are scheduled in the Student Housing Portal beginning May 8, 2023.
- A limited number of moving carts will be available for checkout with student ID. You may also buy or borrow a small dolly or cart to use.
- Get and pack boxes prior to finals.
- Plan your departure time so that you have plenty of time to check out. Lines sometimes form during busier times.
Preparing for Checkout
1. Review your Room Condition Report from move in and discuss any damages that have occurred since then with your roommate to determine who will accept responsibility.
2. Schedule your Spring 2023 Checkout Appointment in the Student Housing Portal.
3. Before your designated checkout time, have all of your belongings and trash removed from your room. Exception: You may leave your carpet for disposal by Student Housing if it is rolled up and tied. Twine is available at the front desk of your building.
4. Remove all thumbtacks and pushpins. Please leave 3M Command Strips for removal by student housing staff.
5. Thoroughly clean your room by wiping down all furniture, appliances, closets, cabinets, window sills, and blinds. Be sure to clean windows and mirrors. Sweep floors; mop if necessary.
Parking & Vehicle Info
Parking rules and regulations remain in effect. In order to provide room for emergency vehicle ingress and egress, all vehicles must be parked in legal parking spaces.
- Moving trucks
- P.O.D. and similar storage containers
- Recreational vehicles
At their designated time, students will complete checkout with the Student Housing Portal using one of two options.
Express Checkout The student is fully responsible for independently verifying that they are ready to properly check out of their room. The student will complete the checkout process online at their convenience. No Student Housing staff member will be present to physically check the student’s space while the student remains in the room.
In-person Checkout The student can complete the checkout process in-person with a Student Housing staff member. The student should go to the front desk of their assigned residence hall or apartment and request an in-person checkout. In-person checkouts will be available daily. A Student Housing staff member will be present to physically walk through the room with the student to verify potential damages and cleanliness of the student’s space.
Students must login to the Student Housing Portal and select Check In/Check Out from the red menu bar. They will then be directed to wither the express checkout process or the in-person checkout process. Both require the student to complete checkout in the Student Housing Portal. Students do not check out at the front desk.
The following are NOT considered normal wear and tear and will result in damage charges:
- Unclean room/unsanitary conditions
- Unclean, damaged, or missing furniture or mattress
- Large marks on walls (beyond minor scuffs)
- Holes in the wall larger than those made by pushpins or thumbtacks
- Adhesives besides 3M Command Strips left on walls or doors
Damage charges, if applicable, will be assessed to your bursar bill.
Most frequent damage charges:
- Missing or damaged furniture or mattress: replacement cost
- Peepholes: $55
- Unrolled carpet or rug: $50
- Broken blinds: $140
- Window screens: $125
- Trash removal: minimum $25/bag
- Wall and floor damages: cost of labor and materials to repair