Information on Student Health Services
We want to encourage all Ole Miss Students to utilize the Health Center if and when they feel sick.
Please refer to the Health Center Website for more information.
Information about Allergies
At present, it is thought that there are upwards of 400,000 species of mold found all over the world. Not all species trigger allergic responses and/or cause allergies; only a few dozen do according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Molds are a fact of life and present no real threat to any healthy individual. Often what are believed to be responses to mold are simply allergies to other things. Still, the effects are the same whether triggered by mold or some other allergen (pollen, pet dander, dust mites, etc.).
Our geographic location and outdoor environment can cause issues for those sensitive to pollen and other allergens and possibly those who have never suffered from allergies in the past. If you experience sensitivity, please seek the assistance of Student Health Services and/or your health care provider. Below are also some suggestions to help cope during the high pollen seasons in this area.
- If medication has been prescribed to reduce your sensitivity, follow the instructions of your doctor and/or medical professional.
- Track the pollen count at pollen.com. On the days that the count is high, try to stay indoors as much as possible.
- Keep windows and exterior doors closed to reduce the number of allergens entering your apartment or residence hall room.
- Vacuum and dust regularly to reduce the number of allergens that may be on shoes or clothes.
- If you find you are extremely sensitive, you may want to invest in a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter vacuum to capture as many allergens as possible.
- Avoid tossing your backpack or the clothes worn outside on your bed to prevent spreading allergens to your sleeping area.
- Consider showering and washing your hair before going to bed to also avoid introducing allergens to your bed linens.
- If you remain highly sensitive to allergens, you may consider investing in an air purifier for your room to remove as many allergens as possible from the air.