Residential College South
The Residential College South application will be available in January 2014 within the housing application.
Application Essay Prompt
Residential College South (RC South) seeks well-rounded individuals who will contribute to the intellectual health and creativity of the community. Share a past experience volunteering, participating, creating, developing, or planning an event, club, activity, etc. which will empower you to further/sustain RC South’s mission of developing the intellectual health and creativity of our members.
For consideration, students must meet the following requirements PRIOR TO committee review:
Be fully admitted to the university (must have ‘admitted’ status, not ‘prospect’ or ‘applicant’)
Have completed the housing application for 2014-15 by paying the non-refundable application fee
Residential College South (RC South) is modeled after the residential colleges at such storied universities as Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, and Yale. Attracting students of all classifications and all majors, RC South seeks to create an atmosphere that is conducive to both learning and fun. A senior faculty fellow lives in the building with his family and contributes to life in the college by programming activities that help students nurture their academic and extracurricular interests. Past and present programs include the Language Table program where students of foreign languages can eat meals with native speakers to practice their skills; classes in tai chi chuan and dancing; cooking lessons in Asian and French cuisines; open-mic nights where musicians can showcase their talents; and special meals like the annual crawfish boil in the spring. Members of RC South live in a contemporary building with private bathrooms and access to the college’s own dining hall, fitness room, music practice room, computer lab, study rooms, and library. Additional programs are offered by both CAs and members of the RC South Cabinet, the RC South student governing group. RC South is a place where students learn as much from each other as from professors in the classroom.
Who Should Apply
- Seek an academically supportive environment
- Thrive on social interaction with fellow students and faculty members
- Are willing to help their fellow students
- Like to volunteer and participate in community activities
- Are committed to diversity it all its forms.
Community Expectations and Requirements
- Maintain academic good standing at the university
- Participate and contribute to events planned by CAs and the RC South Cabinet leaders
- Respect fellow community members, resident assistants, Ole Miss staff and faculty, community members, and others I meet during this experience
- Collaborate with others as well as be proactive in helping the community reach its goals
- Contribute to an environment where learning can flourish.
For more information on Residential College South, please contact email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 915-1792.
Please note that all residents are required to purchase the RC Unlimited Plus 1 Dining Plan.